Suicide car blast kills at least 13 in Quetta

QUETTA: A suicide car bomber killed at least thirteen people, including seven police officers, in an attack near a checkpoint in the volatile city of Quetta on Friday, officials said.


Abdul Razzaq Cheema, director general of police in Balochistan province, told Reuters it appeared the bomber had detonated a car packed with explosives.

He said 15 people had been wounded.

Several dead bodies were brought to the Civil Hospital in Quetta, with many injured in critical condition.

The blast took place near IG Police office in a busy cantonment area where government offices and a girls college are located. The formidable blast threw the organs of human beings all around.

Baluchistan government spokesman Anwar ul Haq Kakar said the blast happened when police officers stopped a car to search it near a checkpoint.



The area is usually constantly supervised with heavy presence of security personnel.


The security personnel of police and FC have cordoned off the area and the injured have been shifted to nearby Civil Hospital. The security forces have kick-started search operation in the area.

The sources said the injured include security personnel and the common citizens with injuries on head, chest and feet.



Hospital sources said the some deaths are feared in the blast as the most of the wounded are in critical state. Emergency has been imposed in the hospital's trauma center.

Civil Hospital spokesman Dr. Wasim Ahmed confirmed at least 11 bodies and 16 injured were brought to the hospital. Civil Hospital sources said at least eight wounded are in critical condition.

Meantime, four security men including an officer were shifted to CMH.

The deceased include policeman, a woman and little girl.


The blast was so powerful that it was heard across the city and windows of the nearby building were dashed to pieces.

The nature of the blast could not be ascertained as yet.

Speaking to media on the blast site, CCPO Quetta Abdur Razzaq Cheema said around 9am, a vehicle coming from Gulistan Road was intercepted; however, it did not stop and drove off to Mission Road.

The security has been further beefed up after the blast, he said adding however, the CCTV footages will be scoured through to ascertain the facts involved in the terrorism.

Initial Report: 

The initial report prepared by the Bomb Disposal Squad said that more than 100 kg of explosive material was used in the blast.

Number plate of the car used in the blast is: T-4377 (Karachi), registered in the name of Sayed Jamil Urrehman.

Age of the suspected suicide bomber was between 18 and 20 years.








                                                                          


                                                      MSP

Do you like this post?

Showing 2 reactions


@movesolpeacepk tweeted this page. 2017-06-23 18:19:18 -0400
published this page in MSP is on the Move 2017-06-23 18:10:49 -0400