Quetta: Hazara Town suicide blast leaves 28 dead, over 60 wounded

QUETTA: Twenty-eight people lost their lives while over 60 others sustained wounds when a suicide bomber blew himself up near an Imam Bargah in Aliabad area of Hazara Town here on Sunday


 

Those killed also include two women while women and children are also among the injured, twenty of whom are said to be in critical condition.

According to Capital City Police Officer (CCPO), the suicide bomber detonated the explosive strapped to his body when he was stopped from entering the premises of the Imam Bargah Abu Talib.



A police official who requested not to be named told that 28 people were killed and at least 60 were injured in the blast. He said that the blast occurred in a crowded area. “We fear an increase in the number of casualties,” he said.

Babul Baloch, a rescue worker told that aid workers were not being allowed to reach the explosion site. He said that most of the aid workers were stranded on different streets leading to Hazara Town and Kirani road. “The blast seems to be a suicide attack,” Baloch said while quoting eye witnesses.

Para-military troops and police were dispatched in the area to control the situation. The initially injured were being taken to civil hospital Quetta for medical treatment.

 

The dead bodies and injured were rushed to Combined Military Hospital (CMH), Bolan Medical Centre and Civil Hospital, sources said.

A number of houses and shops were also damaged in the attack.

The security forces completely cordoned off the area following the high-intensity suicide blast and media persons and members of rescue teams were not being allowed to enter the crime scene.

The attack once again targeted the Hazara Town in Quetta despite presence of heavy security and it is being feared that the death toll could mount.

According to an eye witness, the blast took place near an Imam Bargah followed by firing. The area plunged into darkness after the thunderous explosion that disrupted the power supply.

Muttahida Wahdatul Muslimeen (MWM) has announced three-day mourning across the country while Hazara Democratic Party (HDP) has called a shutter-down strike in Quetta.

Earlier in the day, at least 17 people including a child were killed and 32 others sustained injuries in a powerful blast near Badaber police station in Peshawar.

Police said militants targeted security forces convoy in the attack.

The dead and injured were rushed to Lady Reading Hospital. Condition of six injured is said to be critical.

                     
                       MCP

Do you like this post?

Showing 2 reactions


@movesolpeacepk tweeted this page. 2013-06-30 15:02:46 -0400
published this page in MSP is on the Move 2013-06-30 14:38:49 -0400