Bus bombing kills 26, injures several in Quetta

21-Jan-2014

QUETTA: At least 25 people were killed and dozens injured Tuesday when a powerful explosion ripped through a bus carrying Shia pilgrims in Balochistan's militancy-hit Mastung district.

The attack took place at Dringhar village on the Pakistan-Iran highway some 60 kilometres (37 miles) west of Quetta, Balochistan’s capital.

“At least 25 people were killed and 26 others were wounded,” local government official Shafqat Shahwani told AFP.

He said 51 passengers had been on board at the time of the blast and that nine passengers were still unaccounted for due to the extent of carnage caused.

Provincial home secretary Asad Gilani said it was not immediately clear what type of bomb was used or whether it was a suicide attack.

 

                           

 

Gilani said investigators believed around 80 kilograms of explosives were used in the explosion, though it was not immediately clear what type of bomb was used or whether it was a suicide attack.

“Our priority is to shift the injured to hospitals,” he said, adding that women and children were also among the dead and injured.

Most of the injured were shifted to Combined Military Hospital for medical treatment, he added.

Emergency was imposed in hospitals to treat the injured.

No militant group has so far claimed responsibility for the bombing.

Chief Minister Balochistan, Dr Malik Baloch condemned the attack on the pilgrims' bus and ordered inquiry into the incident.

Two people were killed in a similar attack on January 1 when a bomb targeted a bus carrying pilgrims.

Nobody claimed responsibility for that attack.

                                                                     
                                                                        MSP

Do you like this post?

Showing 2 reactions


@movesolpeacepk tweeted this page. 2014-01-21 12:28:31 -0500
published this page in MSP is on the Move 2014-01-21 12:19:02 -0500