Blast in Quetta kills 11 women's university students

QUETTA: Two blasts in Quetta have left over 11 dead and more than 20 injured.

The first blast took place on a bus parked in the parking lot of Sardar Bahadur Khan University


A powerful blast ripped through a bus of a women's university in the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta today, killing 11 students and injuring 22 others.

The incident occurred within the campus of Sardar Bahadur Khan Women's University at Brewery Road.

Students and faculty members were in the stationary bus when a bomb planted inside went off.

They were waiting to go home after the end of classes.

Police officials said 11 girls, all students of the university, were killed.

Twenty-two injured people, most of them students, were taken to a nearby hospital.

Doctors described the condition of three of them as serious.

Several girls sustained severe burn injuries as the explosion triggered a fire in the bus.

The injured were shifted to Bolan Medical Complex were a second blast was reported.

There is confirmation that three security personnel were killed as a result of the firing at Bolan Medical Complex.

It is being reported that Deputy Commissioner Quetta Abdul Mansoor Kakar was shot as he was preparing to leave the hospital.

Firing from the rooftop of Bolan Medical Complex has stopped.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has asked Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar to help the Balochistan Government in controlling the situation.

Sources inside the hospital have said that a number of armed men are present inside the building.

Preparations for an operation are currently underway. FC personnel have taken up positions on the rooftops of buildings surrounding the complex.

Deputy Commissioner Quetta Abdul Mansoor Kakar has succumbed to his injuries.

Assistant Commissioner Anwar Ali and an additional SHO are reported to be severely injured.

Special Forces have been called in for an operation to clear the hospital.

There is no confirmation on how many armed men are present inside the hospital.

Emergency was declared at the hospital immediately after the blast.

FC and police personnel immediately surrounded the hospital after the incident took place.

There are reports that armed men on the roof of the hospital have opened fire. Security personnel are reported to be firing back.

The second blast is reported to have taken place inside the emergency of Bolan Medical Complex.

Officials have given no information of the second blast.

Firing has been heard from around the area.

It has been reported that some members of the media have been injured as a result of the second blast.

“It was an improvised explosive device placed in the women university bus” in Quetta, city police chief Zubair Mahmood told AFP.

“The dead were all women students,” he said.

The bomb exploded after the girls students had boarded and the bus was leaving the university.

“We are investigating if it was a remote controled bomb, the police official said.

Another police official Fayyaz Sumbal added the bus caught fire after the explosion and many students were critically wounded.


Do you like this post?

Showing 2 reactions

@movesolpeacepk tweeted this page. 2013-06-15 08:51:07 -0400
published this page in MSP is on the Move 2013-06-15 08:32:42 -0400